Mindful Eating Tips You Can Actually Use
You've probably heard a lot about mindful eating. Here are some strategies that you can actually implement that will help you establish a better relationship with eating. These tips will help you become a more mindful eater.
- Set a meal timer for 15-20 min. The challenge isn't to finish before the time is up...the challenge is to take the entire time to eat. You can accomplish this by focusing and tasting each bite.
- Eat with your "weak" hand. Try eating with your non-dominant hand. It doesn't feel as natural, forcing you to slow down. When you eat more slowly, you'll not only be more conscious about what you're eating, you'll eat less (b/c your mind will have time to register how much you're eating).
- For the first 5 min of your meal, eat silently. Express appreciation for everything it took for you to have that meal. All the way from the earth's natural resources, to the financial resources. Appreciation for what you have is always a good place to be.
- Take small bites. Take small bites and thoroughly chew your food before reaching for more. Try this challenge...chew each bite 15-20 times before swallowing. Not only will this help with digestion, you'll end up eating less.
- Am I really hungry. Ask yourself this question before you reach for a meal or snack. If you're not sure, drink a glass of water, go for a short walk, or find something else to distract yourself until you can confidently answer the question.
What tips and tricks do you use to be more mindful when eating? Please share, we'd love to hear from you.
Join our mailing list!
Stay connected with nutrition tips, fitness tips, and more to live the fit life.